- To send a team of kerbonauts on a return tour of the complete kerbol system to make scientific measurements and take photographs.
- A probe will touch down on every celestial body with a surface.
- A manned lander will touch down on Mün, Minmus, Duna, Dres, Laythe, and Eeloo, before returning the kerbonauts to the space center on Kerbin.
- A new lander
- A new probe
- An interplanetary stage
- A launch vehicle
- It will be necessary to construct the spacecraft in orbit around Kerbin.
- Such a heavy craft makes ion engines impractical.
- A nuclear engine will work, but will require a whole lot of fuel. 3 orange tanks? More?
- It may be possible to refuel later on, if the mission turns out not to be feasible with the existing fuel.
- The mission will likely last a year or more. A habitation module would be nice.
- 14 probes will be necessary - minimal design!
- Only 3 bodies have atmospheres, allowing parachute landings. (Duna, Laythe, and Eve)
- The rest of the probes will have to land on rocket power.
- The lander will execute 6 landings and take-offs, before a 7th and final landing (on Kerbin).
- Landing on and leaving Duna will likely be the most challenging parts of the mission, although the landing may be easier if parachutes are used.
- I've safely landed on the Mün just once. This is all going to be very new!
- Let's take it one easy step at a time...